Skip to content

Mold & Health

mold & health issues

Mold is a fungus that grows on wet surfaces. It can grow anywhere, both inside and outside the home. Outside, they are involved in the disintegration of dead organic matter such as deadwood and fallen leaves. To reproduce, molds travel in the air as microscopic spores and will grow on any surface they settle on, depending on environmental factors like water, temperature, and a food source. Mold will germinate and grow between 24 to 48 hours. Buildings with water damage are more liable to develop a mold problem. Especially when it's around a door or window that leads outside.

Causes of mold

Mold spores float everywhere and all they need is the right conditions to terminate. Chief of these conditions is water. Buildings with issues like leaky roofs, plumbing issues, poor building maintenance, and inadequate flooring run a high risk of mold. The various materials around the home also aid the rapid reproduction of molds. Porous objects like furniture, clothing, carpet, food items, and anything made of wood aid the growth of mold excellently. Flooding, an occurrence not unheard in New Orleans, is a notable natural cause of mold due to the abundance of water. Children who lived in flooded homes are known to show symptoms of mold exposure.

Health Effects

Mold causes serious air pollution. The tiny spores released by molds can be inhaled by people leading to allergic reactions. Mold spores contain mycotoxins, which cause diseases and death in both humans and animals. This means that the presence of molds should not only be taken seriously inside homes and workplaces but also in the structures you build for your animals. A lot of people ignore molds because research shows that not all molds are toxic. It can be a dangerous risk to take as only a mold professional can tell a toxic mold from a non-toxic one. Any time you see or smell mold in your New Orleans home, feel free to contact us for the best mold removal services.

Symptoms

There are several symptoms that show exposure to mold spores. When a person has been exposed to mold long enough, it irritates the lungs and causes cough, wheeze, breathing difficulty, throat irritation, and chest tightness to name a few. For people with allergies, symptoms are more serious and seem like a fever. Allergic people develop symptoms like nasal and sinus congestion, eye irritation, throat irritation, and skin irritation. Exposure to mold is also known to cause asthma, whether a person or not. Research shows that children exposed to visible mold are more likely to develop asthma.

Prevention

The best way to prevent the growth of mold in your building is to ensure the conditions that aid its growth are avoided. Good knowledge of how mold germinates will help you combat mold growth. You can start by identifying the areas more susceptible to mold growth and fix them. This could be a leaky roof or damaged water pipe. Water spills are dried up as soon as possible. Ensure that rooms are properly ventilated at all times. When a room is well aired, there is little chance of the buildup of moisture needed for mold growth.

NEW Free Quote - Green